The Pitt County Arts Council, in collaboration with the Civic Arts Committee and the Greenville Mural Project, invites visual and graphic artists located in eastern North Carolina to create an original mural design for the concrete panels on the parking deck located on 4th Street, between Cotanche Street and Evans Street.
To be eligible, artists must currently reside in eastern North Carolina and be 18 years of age.
The submission process is described below. Submissions are due April 17, 2021.
Description of Opportunity
The parking deck has two panels on the 4th Street side. Each panel is 91” x 184.5” totaling collectively 234 square feet.
The parking deck artwork will be encountered by all those passing by on the street, either by foot or by vehicle. As such, the project has the potential to continue to public art presence in Uptown Greenville.
The goals of the project are to:
• Reflect the community’s interests and points of pride.
• Encourage community members to travel passes the mural.
• Create a positive workspace for local artists.
• Infuse creativity and artistry into a highly visible location in the area.
• Artists should consider the scale, design, and finishes used in the areas surrounding the site to coordinate the artwork with the style and size of the panels.
• Artistic excellence and innovation as demonstrated by past work and the submitted materials.
• Understanding of the project and ability to create an artwork that responds to the goals of the project.
• Ability to execute the project in a specified timeline.
• Ability to create artwork that provides interest in public spaces and continues to engage viewers through multiple visits as demonstrated by past work and submitted materials.
The selected artist or group for the parking deck artwork project will be paid a design fee of $500 and an implementation stipend of $2,000. Priming and paint supplies will be provided.
Timeline for Project
• April 17, 2021: Proposals due by 11:59pm via the online application
• April 23, 2021: Review Committee reviews proposals and recommends finalist(s)
• May 10, 2021: Presentation of design made by Arts Council to Greenville City Council
• June 7, 2021: Approval needed by Greenville City Council
• June 2021: Installation of parking deck panel artwork
Follow the instructions for submission, upload the required images and files, and submit.
All materials are due before 11:59 pm EST on April 17, 2021.
You will be asked to submit the following response in your online submission:
• A statement that indicates your interest in the project and how you might approach the commission (no more than 500 words).
• Uploaded design of proposed project. (Attach an image of your proposed design as close to scale as possible.)
• A CV/resume with current contact information (PDF, no more than three pages).
• Up to five sample images of previous artwork relevant to this project (JPEG).
• Corresponding image information about each work sample, including artwork title, a brief description of the artwork (100 words or less), medium, completion date, dimensions, location, and total budget/cost.
Please submit all questions via email to email@example.com no later than April 10, 2021.